24 hour answering service
A leaky roof is inconvenient, frustrating, and can be costly to repair. It might seem like sticking a bucket under the leak and calling it good until the weather lets up and you have enough money to pay for repairs is the best and easiest solution, but that only addresses one of the problems that a leaky roof presents.
Leaky roofs can be dangerous in more ways than one. Slipping and falling on the water that leaks through isn’t one of the biggest concerns. Here are some dangers to watch out for if you’re dealing with roof damage:
- Fire. It might seem counterintuitive to be wary of fire when you have water leaking through your roof, but if the water leaks onto electrical elements, you could find yourself with some serious fire hazards at the moment and later down the road if not properly addressed.
- Higher utility bills. Holes in the roof will let more cold (or hot) air in and water will saturate the insulation, causing your heater or cooler to have to work harder and be run more often. That, of course, will result in higher utility bills and, over time, will rival the cost of simply replacing the roof.
- Structural problems. When water leaks through the roof and down into the attic it can erode away the framing, boards, joists, and other structural elements. When they erode and rot they become unstable and could result in bigger issues down the road.
- Ceiling damage. If water comes through the roof, it can pool up on top of and soak into the ceiling, causing the ceiling to warp and even break. The roof will have to be repaired before you’ll be able to fix the ceiling and then the drywall that was damaged will have to be replaced completely.
- Mold. Mold loves to grow in dark damp places. If you have a leak in your roof, mold might be flourishing in your attic and ceilings. Even nontoxic mold can cause health problems to occur if you and your family are exposed to it and the mold will need to be removed by a professional.
If you’re in the Houston, Texas area and your commercial building or your home’s roof is leaking or needs to be redone, don’t put it off. Our team at Horisons knows what kind of problems a leaky roof can cause so we work hard to provide you with the best roofing solutions using only the best materials from trusted brands.
Contact us to get a quote now.
The Dangers of a Leaky Roof